If it was my birthday tomorrow and I was making a wish just before I blew out the candles, here’s what I’d wish for:
- A clear winner–of both the popular vote and in the Electoral College
- A consensus that the result was clear
- A consensus that any irregularities were relatively insignificant and had no real impact on the result
- No need for any recounts
- A result known before people went to bed Tuesday night
- No need for lawyers, courts, appeals, etc.
- A sense in the losing camp that “we lost,” not “we were robbed.”
No, it’s not my birthday tomorrow and, yes, this would be a pretty long birthday-candles-are-burning wish, but it’s my wish anyway and I’m sticking to it. And, yes, as a journalist, it would be juicier if one of the above were to happen, but I’m a citizen, too. And as a citizen, I vote for clarity!